Thursday, May 28, 2009

Romance Writers of America

Faxed my membership application to RWA first thing this morning. As in early. As in REAL early. It was probably still dark in Texas.

When I first started querying, I pitched The Alien Within as a romance. Then, after doing a lot of 'net research and talking to people, I was finally convinced (it took a while) that TAW wasn't a romance. Not a straight romance, anyway. Then I read on RWA's website that books of a certain genre (like urban fantasy with a dash of sf) with a strong romantic element qualify as romances--as far as the association is concerned, anyway. And that is exactly what TAW is--an urban fantasy with a dash of sf coupled with a strong romantic element.

RWA is having its annual meeting in July. Sure, I'm going. My third "con" of the year. I just love hanging out with writers.

But you know, when I faxed in my application this morning, I couldn't help thinking of what Groucho Marx once said. To paraphrase, "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member."

I have to laugh...

No comments: